In 1989 Alexander Gabriel discovers Maison Ferrand, one of the oldest spirit brands in the Cognac region. The reputation of the House is indisputable but sales are lagging. An immediate crush grabs hold and Alexandre Gabriel dives in with exuberance to the details and craft of Cognac production.
Travel follows passion and soon Alexandre Gabriel is creating a dedicated distribution network of equally passionate partners. He builds on his values and vision for the House. Twenty years later, most of his founding team are still together.
The 1990s see Alexandre Gabriel combing the Caribbean in search of the best rums of the region. Plantation is born: an artisanal range of rums from the great terroirs of the tropics. Fifteen years of dedicated rum-making later, in 2012, Alexandre is awarded Master Blender in the “World’s Best” rum awards and wins the prestigious Golden Barrel Award.
Today, President and Owner of Maison Ferrand, Alexandre Gabriel has won praise across the category and industry. Focusing on three major spirits that represent the passion and vision of Maison Ferrand: Grande Champagne Cognac Pierre Ferrand, Artisanal Citadelle Gin, and Plantation “Grands Terroirs”: authentic spirits that express the individual terroirs that made them.
A resourceful manager, Alexandre Gabriel decides to sell some of his cognac casks to other producers, notably rum producers. The Caribbean and Latin American are now on his radar. Soon the region reveals dozens of unique and fascinating rum expressions that captivate the rum-maker’s attention. Each island brings its own discoveries.
“I love authentic products that express the personality of the land that grew them.
I find the diversity fascinating, exuberating. The joy of tasting the best rums right out of the still from one island to the next is blissful. The degrees of fermentation and distillation are always unique. And this is where I saw an opportunity ! I wondered (and could taste) what my team and I could do with such varying distillations. At that moment I knew in my heart that we could perfect the methods of aging in wood casks that we knew so well from producing Cognac. Voila, the idea for Plantation is launched.”
In the Caribbean, the plantation with its “Grand House” holding court in the heart of the estate is a mystical place. In this magical place, on the island of Barbados in the early 17th century, rum is born.
Alexandre Gabriel now spends several months a year in the Caribbean combing for treasure: the best rum barrels he can find. His efforts have paid off generously in the partnerships he has forged with equally passionate local producers. He has nurtured lasting relationships with the best Caribbean distilleries. The range of Plantation rum honors the softness of Barbados, Guyana, Grenada… evoking the great epic of exotic and adventurous maritime commerce that ruled the day.
A set of six 10cl bottles of Plantation Rum. This is a great way to try rum of different styles and from various countries.
Inside is one each of:
- Plantation Gran Añejo: a spicy sipper created using rums of at least three years of age from Guatemala and Belize, which are then aged in ex-Cognac casks for a further year. (42% ABV),
- Plantation XO 20th Anniversary: a chocolaty multiple gold medal winner created to celebrate the company’s 20th-anniversary using Barbadian rum and a wealth of know-how. (40% ABV)
- Plantation Peru 2004 Vintage: a woody, figgy and smoky limited edition distilled in 2004, aged for 12 years in situ, and then two more in France. (43.5% ABV)
- Plantation 3 Stars: a complex classic for daiquiris blended from unaged Barbadian, a mix of young and 10-year-old Jamaican, and up to 3-year-old Trinidadian rums (41.2% ABV)
- Plantation Original Dark: a fiery spirit from Trinidad combined with smooth counterparts from Jamaica in Cognac barrels to create a rum with the depth, darkness and thirst-quenching mystery of a well. (40% ABV)
- Plantation Grand Reserve: this Barbadian rum is made from tropical fruit and coconut, which has been aged in Bourbon barrels in the Caribbean and then old French oak at Château de Bonbonnet, Cognac. (40% ABV)
- Additional Information
Name Plantation Experience Artisanal Rum Gift Pack Country Caribbean Region n/a ABV% 40-43.5% Size 6 x 100ml Dietary Information No