ALFREDO FRANCISCO PELLAS CANESSA
This Flor De Caña story began 1875 when Alfredo Francisco Pellas Canessa, a young adventurer from Genoa, Italy, risked everything by leaving behind his family and the comforts of the old continent to travel to the exotic country of Nicaragua.
Initially, he invested in a shorter and safer steam boat route through Nicaragua to transport passengers and goods from the East Coast of the US to the West Coast during the height of the California Gold Rush. The route was a huge success, but when news broke about the construction of the Panama Canal and the U.S. coast-to-coast railroad, Alfredo Francisco knew it was time to set out on a new adventure.
In 1890, he found the perfect setting for the Flor de Caña distillery at the base of the San Cristóbal volcano, the tallest and most active volcano in Nicaragua. The fertility of its surrounding lands, the enriched water and the hot volcanic climate proved to be instrumental in forging the rum’s unique and distinguished character.
More than 125 years later, the entire production process continues under the supervision of the same family (five generations of mastery and family values), achieving perfection in rum making.
Through its history, the brand, the company and the family have lived through a plane crash, dictatorships, a civil war, nationalizations, hyperinflation, fires, hurricanes, earthquakes and volcanic eruptions.
Throughout all this, and against all odds, the company has also been able to remain a family business for five generations.
THE SAN CRISTOBAL VOLCANO
The Flor de Caña distillery is located only 5 miles away from the San Cristobal volcano. It’s had around 30 eruptions reported since the 16th century and is constantly expelling large quantities of gas, ashes and smoke.
It is situated along the "Pacific Ring of Fire", the region with the most volcanic activity in the world.
- Distilled 100% with Renewable Energy for 10+ years.
- 50,000 trees planted annually for 12+ years.
- 1,500 tons of waste recycled annually.
DEDICATION TO EMPLOYEES
- Company School since 1913. Free education to 600 children.
- Company Hospital since 1958. More than 700 surgeries free of charge every year.
- #1 donor of APROQUEN since 1991, which has provided 500,000 free medical services to child burn victims and children with cleft lip or palate.
- Strong supporter of American Nicaraguan Foundation (ANF) for the past 15 years, a non-profit whose purpose is to relieve poverty in Nicaragua.
- Additional Information
Name Flor de Cana 18yo Country Nicaragua Region n/a ABV% 40% Age 18 years Size 700ml Dietary Information No